Sunday, May 20, 2007

The Value of Work

"the basis for determining the value of human work is not primarily the kind of work being done but the fact that the one who is doing it is a person"

I've been reading up on Catholic Social Teaching. It's a part of Catholic ideology that they don't really teach you in Sunday school (maybe because it talks about the value of all human beings or the fact that it advocates solidarity among workers, etc). I'm no longer Catholic, but I still find the basic ideas fascinating, and the fact that after being Catholic for 18 years I never once heard any of the ideas of Catholic Social Teaching is even more astounding. The quote I posted is from a Papal Encyclical called Laborem Exercens by Pope John Paul II. You can find it on the Vatican website.

1 comment:

Robert Vienneau said...

Sean, I don't know how long you have been reading me. I once mentioned Catholic social teaching, too.