Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Unfair Trade w/ China, GOP Debate

I turned on the television tonight and in progress was the Republican candidate debate. Among the first thing out of the mouths of one of those candidates (I don't know which one, there were many) were comments about our trade deficit with China. He claimed one major reason behind the deficit was their "unfair trade practices" such as "devaluing their currency" causing American goods to "fall off the shelves". If I was there I would have asked him what he thought about our unfair trade policies: our subsidies on cotton, corn, wheat, and sugar, our exploitive extraction of resources from the third world and the forced export of our own free market policies and laws to the detriment of the worlds poor and impoverished. The United States, as the foremost culprit of unfair trade practices, has no place to question the trade practices of any other country.

I would just like to tip my hat to Congressman Paul who actually said something intelligible about 9-11 and its causes. Though I don't agree with a lot of his views (honestly, probably most of his views), it shocked me to hear a Republican say something other than "they hate our freedom" or "they are a culture of death". Kudos to him. Enjoy it, Republican Party, because it will probably be the only time you hear gracious remark aimed at one of your own from me.

No comments: